8500 Tavy Thin-Skin 100 Sq. ft. Roll
TAVY Thin-Skin 100 Sq. ft. Roll
Add the classic touch of tile to any room
- Two Part Underlayment System was developed to provide an underlayment for tile that could be installed over any surface without adding additional height to the sub-floor
- The Thin-Skin System is so simple that it can be installed by both professionals and DIYers
- Tested by Tile Council of America
- No need to buy or install nails/screws
- Increase tiling applications by eliminating tear outs of existing surfaces
- Allows for tile or stone to be set on any surface
- Lightweight and easier to transport (less than 15 lbs. per 100 square feet) NO dusty mess to clean up
- NO additional height added to any surface as opposed to current underlayments
- NO waste, all TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment pieces are usable regardless of size and shape
- 25% - 50% lower cost than other underlayments
- One roll of TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment 2.5' X 40' and one gallon of TAVY Thin-Skin #007 Glue will cover 100 square feet
- Thin-Skin Underlayment is ideal for making templates for difficult cuts
- Minimize overall load weight
- Crack suppression up to 1/8" over concrete
- Can Not Be Used For Waterproofing
There are 5 basic steps to installing the TAVY THIN-SKIN Two-Part Underlayment System
- 1. Clean the sub-surface of debris
- 2. Spread TAVY Thin-Skin #007 Glue
- 3. Install TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment
- 4. Skim coat TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment with mortar
- 5. Start setting tile!
- Pencil, knife or scissors, 5/32" v-notched trowel (minimum), 5/32" v-notched spatula, latex modified mortar, putty knife and margin trowel
Questions & Answers (2)
Does this product keep tile or grout from cracking?
1st time tiler
This product is designed for crack suppression for up to 1/8" over a concrete substrate.
can i use tavy on shower walls , do I need an extra waterproofing
Thank you for contacting Contractors Direct.
This product is not intended for waterproofing applications. For adequate waterproofing, we recommend Laticrete Hydro Ban or water proof sheet membrane.
Ratings & Reviews
by Kim -
Updated kitchen countertops with granite---the tavy system knocked out not having to replace the existing formica before starting on granite. It's super easy to use & you end up starting with a clean slate to lay the granite on. I would recommend this product to anyone. It's fantastic!!
I will buy this product again
by Ken -
Very easy to use.
by Greg -
I have used this product several times. It works. Saves the time and expense of tearing out existing tile.
Easy to use
by Kathy in Colorado -
This is the 3rd time we have used the Tavy products and found them to be fantastic. We have remodeled 2 bathrooms and most recently resurfaced a kitchen counter. The instructions are clear and the product is easy to use I highly recommend it.
by Nathan -
Works fairly well. Would be nicer if it didn't continually re-roll on itself after you cut or lay it out. It also would be nice if they provided the correct size trowel for the glue. Never did find the 'correct' one! Just used a close size.
by Nathan -
First time ever using this product. Went pretty well. Tends to want to roll back up on itself but other than that it seems to work great. Had trouble finding the trowel size that they recommend. Wish they would just offer one for sale. Would buy again
by David -
Paper isn't a problem, but then there's the glue!
by Willie K -
Other than the fact that the paper tends to roll itself back up rather than lying flat, the glue holds it down well. The problem is the glue, which quickly builds up a sticky film on tools and hands, tends to leave sticky messes where the excess squeezes out from the seams and stays tacky for days.
worked great for going over 60's vct on a cement slab. due to costly removal and a timely delay the customer wanted a solution and that's when we found the system. easily installed and once it was skimmed it was hard as a rock. the tile has bonded and we will see how it does in the long run. no issues 3 weeks out. Although there is no warranty offered with going over the old flooring in this manner I hope for the best. the customer is extremely happy. and it saved them 5000 dollars due to the old tile containing asbestos.