8500 Tavy Thin-Skin 100 Sq. ft. Roll
TAVY Thin-Skin 100 Sq. ft. Roll
Add the classic touch of tile to any room!
- Two Part Underlayment System was developed to provide an underlayment for tile that could be installed over any surface without adding additional height to the sub-floor
- The Thin-Skin System is so simple that it can be installed by both professionals and DIYers
- Can be used with either modified or non-modified thinset mortar
- Tested by Tile Council of America
- No need to buy or install nails/screws
- Increase tiling applications by eliminating tear outs of existing surfaces
- Allows for tile or stone to be set on any surface
- Lightweight and easier to transport (less than 15 lbs. per 100 square feet) NO dusty mess to clean up
- NO additional height added to any surface as opposed to current underlayments
- NO waste, all TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment pieces are usable regardless of size and shape
- 25% - 50% lower cost than other underlayments
- One roll of TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment 2.5' X 40' and one gallon of TAVY Thin-Skin #007 Glue will cover 100 square feet
- Thin-Skin Underlayment is ideal for making templates for difficult cuts
- Minimize overall load weight
- Crack suppression up to 1/8" over concrete
- Can Not Be Used For Waterproofing
There are 5 basic steps to installing the TAVY THIN-SKIN Two-Part Underlayment System
- 1. Clean the sub-surface of debris
- 2. Spread TAVY Thin-Skin #007 Glue
- 3. Install TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment
- 4. Skim coat TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment with mortar
- 5. Start setting tile!
- Pencil, knife or scissors, 5/32" v-notched trowel (minimum), 5/32" v-notched spatula, latex modified mortar, putty knife and margin trowel
Questions & Answers (5)
Does this product keep tile or grout from cracking?
1st time tiler
This product is designed for crack suppression for up to 1/8" over a concrete substrate.
Can I use Tavy on shower walls? Do I need an extra waterproofing?
This product is not intended for waterproofing applications. For adequate waterproofing, we recommend Laticrete Hydro Ban or water proof sheet membrane.
Can this product be used on painted concrete block walls? We have a basement shower made of concrete block. It's painted green and I hate the color, but the paint is in perfect condition -- no flaking or peeling. I'd like to update with subway tiles, but have seen that it's not advisable to tile over painted block. Would this work?
The Tavy Thin Skin adhesive can stick to just about any dust-free surface typically found in a home. It will adhere to a painted surface. The wall tile adhesion will ultimately rely on the quality of bond between the current painted surface and concrete block.
Should I be using a non-modified thin set mortar when setting tiles over this product?
You can use either modified or non-modified thinset mortar over Tavy Thin Skin, whichever you prefer.
How long does it take for your Tavy "glue" to dry once the Tavy thin skin is applied? I am going over linoleum.
Tavy instructs to apply the thin-skin directly onto the glue once it has been applied. After installation of thin-skin, you will spread a thin layer of mortar onto the thin-skin. Once the mortar has dried you may begin setting tile.
Ratings & Reviews
by Kim -
Updated kitchen countertops with granite---the tavy system knocked out not having to replace the existing formica before starting on granite. It's super easy to use & you end up starting with a clean slate to lay the granite on. I would recommend this product to anyone. It's fantastic!!
I will buy this product again
by Ken -
Very easy to use.
by Greg -
I have used this product several times. It works. Saves the time and expense of tearing out existing tile.
Easy to use
by Kathy in Colorado -
This is the 3rd time we have used the Tavy products and found them to be fantastic. We have remodeled 2 bathrooms and most recently resurfaced a kitchen counter. The instructions are clear and the product is easy to use I highly recommend it.
by Nathan -
Works fairly well. Would be nicer if it didn't continually re-roll on itself after you cut or lay it out. It also would be nice if they provided the correct size trowel for the glue. Never did find the 'correct' one! Just used a close size.
by Nathan -
First time ever using this product. Went pretty well. Tends to want to roll back up on itself but other than that it seems to work great. Had trouble finding the trowel size that they recommend. Wish they would just offer one for sale. Would buy again
by David -
Paper isn't a problem, but then there's the glue!
by Willie K -
Other than the fact that the paper tends to roll itself back up rather than lying flat, the glue holds it down well. The problem is the glue, which quickly builds up a sticky film on tools and hands, tends to leave sticky messes where the excess squeezes out from the seams and stays tacky for days.
worked great for going over 60's vct on a cement slab. due to costly removal and a timely delay the customer wanted a solution and that's when we found the system. easily installed and once it was skimmed it was hard as a rock. the tile has bonded and we will see how it does in the long run. no issues 3 weeks out. Although there is no warranty offered with going over the old flooring in this manner I hope for the best. the customer is extremely happy. and it saved them 5000 dollars due to the old tile containing asbestos.
I used the Tavy Thin Skin with the 007 Adhesive....both worked phenomenally. I decided to tile the vertical surface of my kitchen island which is painted wood. Because I was placing the tile inside and inset area, I could not use backer board etc.
Thin skin adheres to the Tavy glue so well. I just pre-cut the pieces(use gloves), spread the adhesive evenly, then laid the paper over the top. Remove air bubbles by smoothing the paper with a wide putty knife.
I let the areas dry over night then trowled on a thin layer of mortar to created a rough surface.
Everything went off without a hitch and my tiles look great. As a first-time user, I don't think it could be any easier. Just remember to use gloves and mask off other areas because the adhesive is super tacky.
My project turned out perfectly and I have Tavy to thank
On top of their game!
Their awesome - just order, you wont be disappointed.
received this item in a decent time frame and it worked very well.