Are you in the market for a new battery-powered chainsaw? Choosing a chainsaw can be a little daunting at first glance – but once you take a closer look, you’ll be able to pick the best chainsaw to fit your needs. Before you purchase, let’s dive into a few factors to consider – and learn how to find the perfect-sized chainsaw to add to your tool lineup.
How to Choose an Electric Chainsaw
Bar length is one of the most important factors when purchasing a chainsaw. Bar lengths vary from 12” to 20” – we truly have a chainsaw for every task.
Shorter chainsaw bars have shorter cutting areas, while longer chainsaw bars provide a larger available cutting diameter in one pass. It’s important to note that larger chainsaws with longer bar lengths can also be more difficult to handle – so it’s a good idea to always match your task to your chainsaw size.
Landscapers follow the rule of inches, meaning your residential chainsaw bar length should be 2” longer than the active cutting area. For example, if you’re cutting a 10” log in one pass, you'll need a chainsaw with a 12” bar length. Of course, you can cut large branches/logs with a smaller bar – just be prepared that it will take multiple passes.
So, what is the difference?
|12-14 inches||Trimming, pruning, limbing, felling small trees|
|16-18 inches||Felling medium trees, firewood cutting|
|20 inches||Felling large trees|
* Felling = Cutting down standing trees
Electric Chainsaw Factors to Consider Before You Buy
- Usage: How often will you be using your chainsaw? Intended use can help dictate what size chainsaw fits your needs best.
- Project size: How big are the branches and limbs that you’ll be cutting down? Matching chainsaw size to project size helps to set you up for success.
- Comfort level: How familiar are you with chainsaws? A smaller chainsaw offers maximum control and comfort if you’re brand-new to the category. For experienced chainsaw users looking to upgrade, you’ll feel right at home with a longer bar length.
So, what is the difference?
- Easy start, every time: No more fighting the pull cord to start up a gas chainsaw. With Greenworks,a push-button start makes the cord hassle a thing of the past.
- Auto-oiler mechanism: No more messing with oil – The auto-oiler mechanism keeps the chain lubricated for maximum performance.
- Side-mounted chain tension: Easy access for bar and chain maintenance.
- Lightweight: Ergonomic design is easy to use and at least 20% lighter than comparable gas models – giving you more control and less fatigue.
- Chain/bar length: 20"
- Cuts per charge: 205+ cuts
- Limb/trunk size: 18 inches
- Push button start: No prime, no choke, no pull™
- What's included: One (1) 82V 4.0 Ah battery and one (1) dual port charger
- Powers up: 50+ Tools with any Greenworks 82V Battery
Check out the Greenworks Commercial 82V 20” 3.4kW Chainsaw. With a dual-port battery charger, a 20” blade, 65cc gas equivalence and more than 205 cuts per charge, this is the chainsaw that will take your cutting to next-level greatness.
First published by our friends at Greenworks.