These days, buying tools and supplies online is inevitable. Sure, we all still make regular trips to the hardware store and our local suppliers—let’s be honest: the trips are maybe a little too regular—but it’s hard to deny the convenience and cost-savings associated with shopping online. With that said, many contractors still haven’t figured out the best ways to do it. In this guide, we’re covering everything you need to know about buying tile and concrete tools online so you can get the job done right and impress your clients again and again.
Why Buy Online?
Is buying online a good business move for you and your company? Generally, the answer is yes. Often, buying online brings a whole host of benefits that you wouldn’t get from buying in a store, from low prices to more specialized customer service. Some of the biggest benefits are:
- The Most Competitive Pricing – Many of the best online suppliers of contractor tools and supplies offer a price-match guarantee, including Contractors Direct. If you see a lower price (including shipping) on another website, we’ll be glad to match it. That means you can count on getting the lowest possible price and saving on overhead costs when you shop online.
- Contractor Deals – The top contractor tools websites often offer contractor pricing, which means special, low prices specifically for professionals. These programs ensure that you get the best prices on essential tools and gear to keep your business running smoothly. At Contractors Direct, you can sign up for contractor pricing so you automatically get special deals when you’re logged into your account. Note that you will need to provide us with a state license or other proof of contractor status to take advantage of this perk.
- An Unlimited Selection – The beauty of shopping online is that your selection is virtually infinite. Think about it: How many times have you walked into one of the big-guy hardware stores only to have to order something online and wait for it to come in? Your options online are truly unmatched, so, if you’re looking for specialty tools or something the retail store can’t seem to keep in stock, Contractors Direct will also order mostly anything from any vendor we carry. Even if its not displayed on our website.
- Convenience – Nothing brings convenience quite like clicking and shipping. Ordering online saves you time because you’re not running all over town trying to find inventory that may not even be in stock. Plus, if you’re in a remote or international location where you don’t have access to large or specialty hardware stores, shopping for contractor tools online is a great option. Many of the most legitimate online tool retailers also sell on Amazon, which may be more convenient for you if you prefer to do your shopping there.
- Expertise at Your Fingertips – We probably don’t need to talk about customer service at most of the big tool retailers, but it’s usually not that great. As you know, working with a specialist—whether online or at a local retailer—always equates to a better customer experience. At Contractors Direct, our team is staffed by a group of concrete and tile experts who can answer all your questions about tools and supplies. Plus, we have an extensive library of buying guides to help you make the right choice.
Does Buying Tools Online Void the Warranty?
One common question we get from contractors shopping for tile and concrete tools online is this: Does buying online void the warranty? Absolutely not! Regardless of where you buy contractor tools, if it’s legitimate and made by a reputable brand, buying it online will not render the warranty invalid. Buying high-quality tools backed by warranties is one of the smartest things you can do for your business, and Contractors Direct would never compromise that.
How to Buy Tile Tools Online
Low prices, great service, and no risk of losing out on the warranty. This all sounds great, right? But how do you do it? If you’re not used to buying supplies for your business online, there are some things you should know before you fill up the cart and check out. It’s important to be vigilant about scams and take a few simple steps before making any large purchases. Here are some tips for buying contractor supplies online:
- Find the Right Supplier – Finding the right tool supplier is crucial because there are so many scammy and foreign websites out there that simply drop-ship products and don’t know anything about them. Located in Connecticut, Contractors Direct is staffed by a team of tool experts who are happy to walk you through the process so you feel confident about your purchase.
- Check Out Buyers Guides – Many online suppliers have buying guides on their website to help contractors figure out what tools they need. These guides cover everything from the function of certain tools to how to decide on a specific brand or model. When you know what you want to buy and why beforehand, you’re much more likely to choose the best possible option.
- Read the Reviews – Reviews can give insight into the legitimacy and quality of a website, but don’t be too trusting. Reputable websites allow their customers to leave reviews, not only of specific products, but also of the website and service as a whole. The key here is to comb through reviews carefully and with a critical eye, making note of reviews that sound “too good” and looking out for less-than-favorable ones.
While many bad reviews can signal that a company is sketchy, a few here and there—both for the company and products it sells—signifies that a site actually publishes real customer reviews and, therefore, may be more trustworthy.
- Know the Return Policy – Many people falsely assume that returns will be a hassle when shopping online, especially for bigger things like tools. However, that’s generally not the case, and many retailers have reasonable return policies that eliminate risk associated with shopping online. At Contractors Direct, for example, you can return something you bought from our store within 30 days if you’re not completely satisfied with it.
- Think About Shipping Time – As a contractor, time is everything. Your clients want things done fast and, if you don’t have exactly what you need to get the job done right, you risk delaying projects and losing out on income. Make sure you partner with a retailer that’s based in the U.S. or can ship to wherever you’re located reasonably quickly. Contractors Direct has 2 fully operational warehouse to ship to most of the country in 3 days to ensure that you get what you need fast.
- Look Out for Scams – This one is extremely important. Before you buy anything online, ensure that you’re buying from a totally legitimate website. With so many fake, scammy, and fraudulent websites preying on small business owners, you want to be positive you’re buying from a safe source. Look out for hallmarks of scam websites, such as deals that appear too good to be true—sadly, they probably are—and sites that don’t list an easy-to-find phone number. When in doubt, call the number on the site and talk to an employee.
Your Tile and Concrete Tools Checklist
Ready to stock that toolkit with the best of the best and reap all the benefits of online shopping? Before you buy anything for your business, make sure to check out our current specials. Whether you’re looking for a great deal on a tile lifting system or simply want to stock up on general tools, getting a good deal can help save your business thousands on overhead costs.
Here’s the ultimate list of concrete and tile tools that you’ll need to properly stock your toolbox so you’re prepped for even the most complex concrete and tiling jobs:
- Leveling Systems – Leveling systems help you create a seamless, lip-free installation when working with tile. As you know, not all of these systems are created equal. Read reviews and product specifications before choosing one.
- Diamond Blades – You need high-quality diamond blades in order to create clean, professional cuts. Pay close attention to the lifespan rating when buying diamond blades. As long as you use them according to the manufacturer’s recommendation (i.e., don’t use a glass blade to cut concrete), then you should be able to use yours for quite a while.
- Tile Cutters and Nippers – As a professional who works with tile, you need a high-quality tile cutter that can handle the rigors of the job, so don’t be afraid to be picky. Make sure you know which kind of tile cutter you need—push, pull, large format, etc.—before making your purchase.
- Wet Saws – Buying a wet saw online is a great move because you’ll usually be able to find it at the lowest possible price or have it price-matched. Just make sure you do a bit of research on what kind you need beforehand and always select a reputable brand with a generous warranty, such as DeWalt, Husqvarna, Saw Master, Rubi Tools, Imer, or CD Products.
- Tile Adhesives – We often don’t think about buying mastic or mortar online, but the truth is that doing so can often save us cash and a lot of hassle. Shopping online for your tile adhesives allows you to peruse a wider variety of options, including standard, pre-mixed, modified and unmodified.
- Compaction Equipment – Concrete and construction professionals know that the right compaction equipment is vital to a job well done. Not properly compacting soil can result in serious water damage, seepage, soil settlement, and frost damage, which can compromise the reputation of your business. Whether you need a vibratory plate compactor, a rammer, or a vibratory roller, you’ll be able to find exactly what you need at Contractors Direct.
- Diamond Core Blades – Just like with tile diamond blades, you should select concrete diamond core blades based on the material you plan to cut and the job at hand. For example, you will need the right kind of blade to cut asphalt, concrete, and stone. Be sure to select a diamond blade designated for every application to ensure that your blade lasts as long as possible.
- Concrete Saws – Whether you need a walk-behind concrete saw or a masonry saw, finding the right tool for the job is crucial to the success of your business. Pay close attention to the features and capacity of each one to ensure that you find a style that makes your job a bit easier.
- Concrete and Mortar Mixers – When selecting a cement mixer, you need to think about the specific needs of the jobsite as well as your capacity requirements. Drum mixers, mixing stations, vertical shaft mixers, and mortar mixers all bring different benefits and features. Other considerations include power (gas or electric), size, and material. Be sure to give all of these things careful consideration before choosing a mixer.
We’re Here to Help
We know buying tools and supplies for your business can be stressful and overwhelming, especially if you’re working on a tight budget or timeline. Contractors Direct strives to help you get exactly what you need fast. Contractors have trusted us to pair them with the right equipment for nearly 30 years, and it’s our mission to help them succeed at all costs. With the best prices and service in the market, it’s not hard to see why contractors rank our site at the top for the best tiling tools and concrete equipment online.