Normally the underside of the Better Bench is not tiled. If you do tile the underside of the Better Bench a special thin-set will be required to bond to the metal.
The Better-Bench® is easy to install, replacing other complex methods. This fully independent supporting unit can be mounted to most vertical surfaces quickly and efficiently, saving the tile installer valuable time. What once took days can now be done in about 30 minutes!
- Benches engineered 400 lbs. load capacity.
- Can be mounted to most vertical surfaces quickly and efficiently, saving the installer valuable time.
- Self-supporting, one piece frame is easy to install with supplied fasteners requiring no additional waterproofing or structural reinforcement.
- Takes only minutes to mount, place mortar mix (sand and cement), and tile as desired.
- Use in wet or dry locations; mount over any U.B.C. approved substrate material.
- BB-30; 3" x 21.5" x 21.5" x 30" triangular bench.
- BB-24; 3" x 17" x 17" x 24" triangular bench.
- BB-ADJR; 3" x 14" x 33.5" to 62" adjustable rectangular bench.
- BT-17S; Mid point corbel support for BB-ADJR.
- (BT-17S support required if spread exceeds 36")
- Invisabolt size: 3/4" x 17-1/2".
- The new Invisabolt system allows bench to appear free floating, 2 Invisabolts per package.
- Better-Bench® is constructed of alloyed aluminum and is sent as one piece.
- Includes hollow wall anchors and wood screws.
BB-ADJR™ is designed for use in pre-tiled and post-tiled applications over UBC approved tile backing systems. PLEASE READ ALL DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY PRIOR TO THE INSTALLATION OF THIS UNIT!
BETTER-BENCH ADJR® MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS
Standard method - wall to wall/open ended:
1. Position BB-ADJR at desired location and mark mounting holes of unit on substrate at all sides. Set unit aside.
2. Using a 1/4" masonry bit, drill marked locations completely through substrate. If wood backing or framing members are encountered, continue drilling backing using a suitable pilot bit which does not exceed 3/32"in diameter and use provided wood screws to secure bench, if hollow wall anchors are required in your installation, use a 3/8" masonry bit and drill completely through substrate. Insert the supplied hollow wall anchors into each hole and hand tighten the fastener to expand sleeve. Then remove screw for mounting bench or BT-17S. Be careful not to over-tighten the screws-snug is sufficient! Note: use of a power screw driver is not recommended. In some substrate, the sleeve portion of the fastener may spin while attempting to tighten. To prevent this, it may be necessary to grip sleeve flange with pliers or similar tool while first tightening fastener screw. If you are mounting over finish tile, you will need to flatten the prongs on the back of the flange prior to sleeve placement.It is suggested that you tile the walls beneath the BB-ADJR prior to mounting the bench unit since the access to this area after final mounting of unit is more difficult.
3. Inject a small amount of caulk in each mounting hole and re-position BB-ADJR. Install all screws and secure BT-17S to BB-ADJR. Add additional caulk over screw heads and a continuous bead along top edge of bench where it abuts wall.
4. Apply a stiff "deck mud" mortar (4 parts sand + 1 part Portland cement) to completely fill the BB-ADJR and BT-17S (if required in your installation). Do Not Use Thin-Set Mortar to Fill any Better-Bench component! Allow mortar to press through the front holes. Screed mortar even with top and front face with slightly "wetter' mortar and screed smooth. In wet locations, build mortar bed higher than unit along the rear of the bench (3/8-1/2") and screed even to front edge. This will allow water to shed from the surface.
5. Tile and grout the top, face and exposed sides of BB-ADJR and BT-17S as desired.
BT-17S™ Installation - Required if wall to wall span is greater than 36" or for open ended Installation up to 36" max span
BT-17S is a modified version of the Better-Tray® and is intended to be mounted in a "Corbel" supporting condition.
1. Position BT-17S vertically with top edge at desired location and mark mounting holes on substrate or on tile. (3) locations
2. Using a 3/8" masonry bit, drill marked locations completely through substrate. Note: If any structural wood members are encountered, it is necessary that you finish drying with a suitable pilot bit which does not exceed 3/32".
3. Place fastener sleeve in applicable drilled holes and hand tighten screws to expand sleeve. Remove screws and inject a small amount of caulk in each mounting hole, reposition BT-17S and re-secure mounting screws in sleeves. Add additional caulk over screw heads.
4. Re-position BB-ADJR, locate the two 1/4" holes in the top of the BT-17S, mark and drill through the bottom of the BB-ADJR and secure units together using the #12x1/2" machine screws and nuts provided.
5. Apply "dry pack" deck mortar to completely fill BT-17S, allowing mortar to press through the front holes. Screed even with side and front edges, brush off any excess mortar that protrudes through the multiple bonding holes on side of unit. Tile and grout as desired.
INVISABOLT™ Installation - Alternative self-supporting system for BB-ADJR
1. 4x6 minimum structural wood blocking must be installed flush to front face of studs prior to placement of tile substrate. Secure with (4) 16d nails at each end of block. Wood blocking must extend to the next wail stud beyond the installed BB-ADJR width, and centered at bench height. Install tile substrate according to manufacturer directions.
2. Expand bench to width desired, being sure to keep large holes in front face of BB-ADJR aligned for both halves. Secure final dimension as detailed in placement instructions. Step A and C.Step B, "Face stiffener" is not required with INVISABOLT system.
3. Viewing from front of bench, locate the 11/4" holes visible after expansion. These are the required mounting locations (drill out exposed metal if necessary). Place bench in final location and secure to wall using screws provided with BB-ADJR. Mark center point of 11/4" mounting holes and drill to a depth of 4" into pre-installed blocking using a 5/8" drill bit. Keep drill straight, level, and perpendicular to wail surface. Slide nylon insulator washer on INVISABOLT and tighten bolts until washer "just" makes uniform contact with front face of BB-ADJR.
4. Fill BB-ADJR with mortar as detailed above in Standard method Steps 2-4, and allow to cure at least 48 hrs. Tighten INVISABOLTS 1/4-1/2 turn or until resistance is about 15 lbs. torque. Do not overtighten or cause a deflection in face of bench. Finish top of bench, front face and ends as desired.
BB-ADJR™ is suitable for mounting directly to the face of tile substrate (ultimate method), or after finish tile has been installed. Wood blocking is not required unless INVISABOLT mounting supports are being used in the installation.
Mounting wall to wall up to 36": No additional support required.
Mounting wall to wall up to 63": One (1) BT-17S centered in span or Two (2) INVISABOLT supports.
Mounting on back wall and one side wall up to 36": One (1) BT-17S within 6" of open end or 2 INVISABOLT supports.
Mounting along back wall and one sidewall up to 63": Three (3) INVISABOLT supports required.
Mounting with no side support up to 36": Two (2) INVISABOLT supports required.
Mounting with no side support up to 48": Three (3) INVISABOLT supports required.
Mounting with no side support up to 63" max span: Four (4) INVISABOLT supports required.
INVISABOLT™ SUPPORTS ARE NOT NEEDED WITHIN 6" OF A WALL MOUNTED CONNECTION
Step A: Turn BB-ADJR upside down and expand to desired width. Using a 1/4" metal bit, drill all similar sized holes through the exposed metal in the bottom, back and front face of the unit. Turn unit over and also drill through the exposed metal in the two 1/4"holes located in the bottom section and the 1/4"hole in the front face. Place the supplied corrosion resistant #12 x1/2" round head machine screws through the 1/4" holes drilled in step A, for the bottom halves and the front face only (6 locations).
Step B: If BT-17S is required for your installation, see those instructions prior to continuing. Install "Face Stiffener" In the center of BB-ADJR or roughly over the center of the BT-17S location if used, and flush to the top of the BB-ADJR with the tab pointing down in the rear and up at the front. Mark and drill the two (2) 1/4" holes located at front and rear of Face Stiffener. Place remaining #12 x1/2" screw in front hole and secure with nut.
If a BT-17S corbel support is required in your installation, it is suggested that it be installed prior to continuing further.
Step C: Determine pre-tiled finish height, and location of bench and mark a horizontal line along back and side wails. For BT-17S (if required), locate edge or center line of BT-17S and mark a vertical line, make a mark on vertical line, 3" below horizontal line. Align upper corner of BT-17S on new mark and position on vertical line. Mark three (3) mounting holes on wall, and follow mounting instructions provided under BT-17S Installation.
Question & Answers
This installation may work however you would void any warranty by Innovis. You are also potentially going to have issues with the tile as it may not adhere properly causing them to break and or come loose
INVABOLTS should be mounted in the three holes closest to the center of the unit when installing the BB-ADJR at a length of 48'' with three walls supporting the bench.
Yes, you can either use two INVISABOLTs or one BT-17S to install the BB-ADJR in a two-wall corner.
Yes, the BB-ADJR can be cut down to a smaller size. Innovis suggests cutting off an equal length from both pieces of the unit using either a circular saw and metal blade or a pair of aviation snips.
Two (2) INVISABOLT supports are required when installing the BB-ADJR at a length of 62" between two walls.
The BB-ADJR only reaches 62" with the added support. You would need to create a custom bench to accommodate that width.
The dimensions of the BB-ADJR at it's smallest length is 33.5". It is not recommended that you cut the bench to a shorter length. When installing with one side on a wall and one side free, you would need 2 Invisabolts if the length exceeds 36". BB-ADJR has a 400 lbs. weight capacity.
You can install directly into the cinder block walls, but there are some variables you need to consider first. If the cinder blocks are not filled, you will need additional reinforcement because unfilled cinder blocks average only about an inch thick. There may also be additional items (fasteners, concrete screws) that should be utilized for reinforcement of the bench. For a more detailed answer, Innovis Corp is happy to help guide you through your installation. Please contact them at (800) 382-9653.
It is hard to determine what caused the cracks without knowing more about your installation.
Please contact us directly at email@example.com
Ratings & Reviews
Most Helpful Reviews
the two shower shelves will look great and very comfortable also classic. Just today we did the supper framing and it worked great...again thanks a lot you get a A+
Well made and good, simple design. Easy to install, and once installed, solid as a rock.
this product was easy to install and a great choice over trying to frame a bench from scratch. [...]
This is a great product. I love it
I HAVE A COUPLE OF THE SMALLER SHELVES INSTALLED IN ANOTHER BATHROOM THAT HOLD SHAMPOOS, CONDITIONERS, BODY WASH, ETC. WHICH ARE PERFECT FOR THAT APPLICATION I KNEW THAT ONCE I RENOVATED MY OTHER BATHROOM THAT I WAS DEFINITELY GOING TO USE THE LARGER ONE FOR A BENCH FOR SHAVING ESPECIALLY. GREAT PRODUCT, I USED TO SELL CARPET AND TILE IN A RETAIL STORE AND ALL THE SALES PEOPLE WERE REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THIS PRODUCT. I THINK IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED PROFESSIONALLY BECAUSE TILING THE SHELF REALLY TAKES A PERSON WITH A TILING BACKGROUND WITH ALL THE CUTS THAT HAVE TO BE MADE.
FOR A MATCHING SHELF, ESPECIALLY IN A SHOWER OR TUB SURROUND, YOU CAN NOT BEAT THIS PRODUCT. WE DO CUSTOM TILE JOBS AND THIS PRODUCT HAS HELPED US THRU OUT THE YEARS TO ACHIEVE SOME OF THE MOST UNIQUE DESIGNS POSSIBLE.
Easy to install and is load bearing as described.
easy install, if you plan ahead and add blocking between wall studs.
This bench is so much easier to install than the typical shower bench. We are very pleased with the outcome of this product, and it holds more than twice the weight as the standard "build it yourself" shower bench. A definite recommend!
I have used these benches several times, and my customers love them.
The Better-Bench is my favorite style of shower bench. I like the openness underneath. It leaves a clean stylish look to any shower. Can even be used after tile has already been installed! End result is very sturdy and WILL hold it's weight.
This is a great product. I have been using it for years in custom shower installations, and customers love it. It is very easy to install (takes maybe an hour, max, including mixing your deck mud). It's easy to sell. Keep a picture in your portfolio to show. Everyone wants it. It sells itself. I have never done a custom shower without one.
the only thing that might help would be a bench a little larger than the 30 inch maybe a 36 inch.
I have used the Better Bench system for some time now. It is a great way to add a bench in the shower. You could even mount one anywhere else in your house if you wanted. The ease of installation is worth the cost. I have installed them over existing tile as well. I highly recommend this product. It will hold up to the 400lb. support as well. This sytem leave a nice clean finished look to the whole project. No need to tile the bottom as well!
This has to be the easiest way to build a bench. I installed this for a customer. I put a 2x4 horizontally between the studs where the bench was going to go. This way all screws but one were directly into a stud or wood. If you're a good mud person, installation is a snap. If you've never mixed or set mud before, practice beforehand to get your perfect mix. I made my mud much wetter when mudding the front side as that was the trickiest part. Great product at a very fair price!
My wife and I installed the adjustable rectangle bench in our new shower. I am not a professional and had no problems with the installation. The only thing I would improve are the instructions... they are not DIY friendly. While it did not take us long to figure out what we needed to do, some clear instructions with illustrations would have been a huge plus. Other than that - I would highly recommend this system to everyone.
Excellent product. Easy to install and finish even for a novice. I would suggest to plan your project so that you are securing it to wall studs.